AE Wifi Radio
Opening the AE
This page describes how to open the AE radio. Most is easy, but take care when removing or connecting the flatcable, this is a fragile part of the radio's guts.
- Pull off the knob and remove the two small screws underneath.
- Pull op the front of the rubber foot and remove the two smalls screws.
- Gently pull forward the metal front of the radio and remove.
- Remove the 4 screws in the deep holes.
- The radio can now be taken apart. Be careful because front and back are still connected by the fragile flatcable and the two speaker cables.
- The flatcable can be removed by gently pulling back the red plastic clips on the connector. This is all very fragile, and can easily break, so don't remove if there's no need to.
(Not part of the sharpfin project, but documented here because a lot of people experience this problem)
The AE radio has a nasty hardware 'bug' causing a crackling noise in the sound, caused by the wifi module inside the radio. Some unit have a louder crackle then others, but all AE radios I tried were noise to some extend. If your radio is crackling, you could try the following procedure.
- Open the radio as descriebed above
- Unplug the radio wires from the brown connector on the PCB.
- Twist the wires 5 or 6 times
- Plug back in
- When closing the unit, try to push the speaker wires as far away from the USB wifi module as possible
- Close the radio
This might, or might not, solve your problem, but it did for me on 3 different AE radios.